| Home | About| The Book | Hauntings & Investigations | Other Legends | Links | Contact |


Everett Covered Bridge

Everett Road
Everett, Ohio

History

Built in 1876 and nicknamed "Centennial Bridge," this covered bridge west of Everett carried Everett Road across Furnace Run. On the night of February 1, 1877, John Gilson and his wife lost control of their sled beside the creek approximately one mile north of this location. The horses bolted, tossing the Gilsons into the swollen icy creek. Mrs. Gilson was rescued, but her husband and the horses perished. John's body was found 4 days later. The bridge was damaged by in 1913 and 1975. It was rebuilt according to original plans by volunteers in the late 1980s.

Immediately north of the bridge is a line of pine trees marking the eastern boundary of what was Chamberlain (or Everett) Cemetery. This was a private family plot dating back to the 1847 burial of William B. Swan. The cemetery was used by the people of Everett and expanded to a full square acre. By 1898, it was abandoned. Four bodies, including that of Alanson Swan, were exhumed and moved to Cedar Grove Cemetery in Peninsula. The remaining gravestones were stolen, thrown into Furnace Run, or used as flagstones for a garden walkway.

Hauntings

There have been several accounts of a wagon heard crossing the bridge late at night. Perhaps Gilson and his horses are still trying to get home to Oak Hill, only this time taking the safer route.

Dozens of graves still remain forgotten at the old cemetery. A house, once owned by a R. H. Miller, once sat atop part of the graves. Local legend says that Miller had 30 years back luck because of this; the spirits of the remaining dead may still be upset and roam the area surrounding the cemetery and adjacent bridge.

Back to Investigations

 


Photographs


Everett Covered Bridge in the early 1900s.


The bridge circa 1950s.


The wrecked bridge in 1975.


Documents

 


Site designed and maintained by Ken Summers | All content on this website is property of Ken Summers.
Use of website content and images without written permission is strictly prohibited. | Copyright © 2007 Ken Summers
Contact: moonspenders@yahoo.com