| Home | About| The Book | Hauntings & Investigations | Other Legends | Links | Contact |


Frazee-Hynton House

7733 Canal Road
Valley View, Ohio

History

Built between 1825 and 1827 by Stephen and Mehitable Frazee, this lonely house on a hill overlooks the old canal. Two bricks on the house still bare their hand-engraved initials. Though it was rumored to have been a tavern, no evidence has been found to suggest it. It may have also served as a makeshift jail while the canal was under construction. John Hynton purchased the house in 1863 for himself and his new wife, Elizabeth. Two years later, Hynton passed away. He is buried at Tinkers Creek Cemetery. The last owners of the home were the Foote family. It was purchased by the National Park Services in the 1970s. Remarkably, the house was never updated with indoor plumbing and electricity.

Hauntings

Several paranormal legends are attached to this house. Stephen Frazee is believed to haunted the building, as well as one of the Frazee's children who possibly passed away at a young age. There is also a story of a lynching on the property, when a canal digger was hung for his crimes.

Back to Investigations

 


Photographs


Frazee House as seen in 1935.


The house in the 1970s after purchase by NPS.

Documents

 


Site designed and maintained by Ken Summers | All content on this website is property of Ken Summers.
Use of website content and images without written permission is strictly prohibited. | Copyright © 2007 Ken Summers
Contact: moonspenders@yahoo.com