| Home | About| The Book | Hauntings & Investigations | Other Legends | Links | Contact |


Canal Visitor Center
at Locktender's House

Canal Road
Valley View, Ohio

History

This residence for the lock keeper was built originally in 1827, but became two side-by-side attached buildings soon after. The other half was occupied by Ma Parker's Tavern: a wild, rowdy place for canal workers and travelers to find whiskey and loose women. It was nicknamed Hell's Half Acre for its tough atmosphere, which lasted into the 1900s when it was used as a biker hangout. The National Park Service bought the building in the 1970s and renovated it for a museum. Today, it is a visitor center for the park.

Hauntings

Rumors of ghosts have been around for decades at this old building. Specific stories are unknown at this time, but are under further investigation.

Back to Investigations

 


Photographs


"Hell's Half Acre" during the canal era.


The structure as it looked in the 1970s.


Documents

 


Site designed and maintained by Ken Summers | All content on this website is property of Ken Summers.
Use of website content and images without written permission is strictly prohibited. | Copyright © 2007 Ken Summers
Contact: moonspenders@yahoo.com