| Home | About| The Book | Hauntings & Investigations | Other Legends | Links | Contact |


Wood Store

State Route 303
Peninsula, Ohio

History

Frederick Wood first moved to Peninsula in 1853 and went into the general mercantile business. He partnered with Edmund Cole in 1856 to form Wood, Cole & Company. In 1863, Wood bought out his partners and moved his general store to this location. The building is one of the oldest in the area, having been built in 1820. Aside from the general store business, the structure has housed a barber shop, post office, art gallery, and many other businesses. It is currently the storefront for Ohio Hardwood Furniture.

Hauntings

A female spirit is believed to haunt the old store. Local rumors suggest she may have been a prostitute who died under mysterious circumstances. Her presence is commonly felt in the back storage room.

Back to Investigations

 


Photographs


A view of Frederick Wood's store around 1860.


Women relaxing in the garden behind the store in 1870.


Wood Store in 2006 while occupied by Crooked River Herb Farm.


Documents

 


Site designed and maintained by Ken Summers | All content on this website is property of Ken Summers.
Use of website content and images without written permission is strictly prohibited. | Copyright © 2007 Ken Summers
Contact: moonspenders@yahoo.com