Here is a comprehensive listing of reportedly haunted locations with LGBTQ connections listed alphabetically by location. Colored symbols beside each link indicate the following:
• Bisexual/questionable male/female haunting
• Gay male haunting
• Lesbian female haunting
• Trans male/female haunting
• Heterosexual haunting/LGBT-owned business
If you know of an LGBT-owned haunted business or believe you have encountered an LGBTQ ghost, please contact me. All personal information will be kept confidential.
Allerton Mansion •
515 Old Timber Rd.
Monticello, Illinois 61856
The circa 1900 brick mansion was once home to Robert Henry Allerton, son of the founder of the First National Bank of Chicago. Along with his partner John Gregg, they transformed the country house into an elaborate manor throughout the 1920s and 30s. Allerton was an avid art collector and benefactor of the Art Institute of Chicago. In 1946, “The Farms” was donated to the University of Illinois. It is currently a retreat center for outdoor recreation.
A mysterious woman in white is said to haunt the house. Some say she was in love with Allerton and is still waiting for him to return the affections. She is seen in the gardens and heard pacing in the hallway. Allerton himself is said to haunt the property. He is believed to haunt the upstairs bedrooms “in female costume”.
Bourbon Pub & Parade •
801 Bourbon St.
New Orleans, LA 70116
The Bourbon Pub is reportedly the oldest, continually-run gay bar in the nation. It has been in operation since at least 1973. The last residence of Voodoo Queen Marie Laveau is directly across the street.
A former owner is believed to haunt the bar. He is said to be unhappy with recent renovations and changes. Another spirit, dubbed the Bastinado Ghost, strikes patrons on the soles of their feet with a stick. Staff members have reported the apparition of a small Creole woman, called “Mam” by employees, wearing a plain cotton dress and bandana wandering the establishment during the late hours.
Cafe LaFitte in Exile •
If you include its being evicted from LaFitte’s Blacksmith Shop and forced to relocate to its present location in 1954, Cafe LaFitte in Exile is one of (if not the) oldest gay bars in the United States.
Several notable spirits haunt the two-story establishment. Both playwright Tennessee Williams and author Truman Capote are occasionally spotted on the first floor while a former patron nicknamed “Mr. Bubbles” also makes his presence known. Shadowy figures have been witnessed on the balcony before disappearing into thin air.
Capitol Theatre •
405 Cleveland St.
Clearwater, FL 33755
Built in 1920, the Capitol was a vaudeville and movie house throughout the Great Depression. The abandoned building was refurbished in 1962 and then leased by Jerry Strain and Bill Neville in 1979 who offered discounted prices for classic films in an effort to save the historic structure. It was restored again in 1999 and opened as the Royalty Theatre before ending up in foreclosure. The building was rescued and is currently operated by Ruth Eckerd Hall.
The theater is said to be haunted by the ghost of former manager Bill Neville who was murdered in the balcony during a gay-bashing and robbery in 1981.
Carluccio’s Tivoli Gardens •
1775 E. Tropicana Ave.
Las Vegas, NV 89119
The original diner was purchased in 1982 by famed pianist Liberace. It opened as Liberace’s Tivoli Gardens the following year. What was intended to be a simple diner for tourists at the adjacent Liberace Museum became an extravagant Italian restaurant. Liberace occasionally slipped into the Piano Lounge and entertained his diners with music. After his death in 1987, the restaurant was sold to the Carluccios. It remained much the same as designed by Liberace until its closure in 2011.
Customers and employees have encountered the spirit of Liberace throughout the establishment. Latches in the ladies room have a mind of their own, lights have turned on and off, objects have been moved by unseen forces, and glimpses of the glittering cloak worn by Liberace have been reported.
Castro Camera •
575 Castro St.
San Francisco, CA 94114
This Victorian residence-above-store was built in 1893 by Fernando Nelson as part of the developing commercial district. The storefront was altered in 1948 which compromised its historical integrity. Starting in 1973, openly-gay Supervisor Harvey Milk operated Castro Camera which he lived above at this site. It later served as his campaign headquarters. He was assassinated on November 27, 1978. An art gallery and gift shop now operated out of the building for several years until 2011 when the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) opened their current storefront there.
During the on-location filming of Milk, some crew members and actors believe they experienced the ghost of Harvey Milk walk on to the set to watch the production.
Christopher’s by the Bay •
8 Johnson St.
Provincetown, MA 90028
Built circa 1843, this Victorian was home to ship caulker Stephen Mott and his wife Eveline. It has been used as a bed & breakfast for nearly 40 years. After being known as the Swanberry Inn and temporarily housing Carpe Diem Guest House, it was used as a summer home before being restored by Jim and Dave in 2006.
A female presence has been felt on the second floor. She appeared to one guest and is a benevolent presence. Two children are also believed to haunt the house. The dining room may host a few otherworldly guests. Some activity, including books pushed off a shelf, has occurred in a few guest rooms.
Corpsewood Manor •
Dead Horse Rd.
Summerville, GA 30747
Built by Charles Scudder and Joseph Odom of Chicago in the mid 1970s, this house was the scene of the brutal double murder of its owners on December 12, 1982. It was destroyed later by vandals. Very little remains of the structure today.
Charles and Joseph are said to still haunt their property. One of their dogs has also been witnessed. Harp music and dark shadows are among the many experiences reported by visitors. Some believe the owners cursed their land; those taking souvenirs have reported horrible luck.
Cyrus Rex House •
299 Rexmont Rd.
Rexmont, PA 17085
Cyrus Rex, the town’s namesake, originally owned this home constructed in 1875. It operated as a bed & breakfast named the Rexmont Inn for several years before turning into a law office and then a private residence in recent years.
While some believe Cyrus’ niece (Susan Amanda) could be haunting the house, others speculate that the elegantly-dressed figure is that of Cyrus himself.
Czar Ybor •
1420 E 7th Ave.
Tampa, FL 33605
Las Novidades Restaurant opened here in 1890, but a fire burned the structure down in November of the following year. The current building was rebuilt in 1892, serving as a coffee shop owned by Manuel Menendez popular with employees of the adjacent Sanchez and Haya cigar factory. It also housed the Havana Hotel throughout much of the 1900s. It was turned into the El Goya gay bar in 1975 which closed due to a suspicious fire on November 13, 1977. It has gone by other names in recent years–Tracks and Pleasure Dome–before becoming Czar in 2004.
The nightclub moved to the Ritz Building across the street in 2013. While no longer exclusively gay, Czar still features a mixed, gay-friendly atmosphere.
Footsteps have been heard in the upstairs rooms. A male apparition wearing a white suit has been seen spotted throughout both floors. He has been witnessed smoking a cigar and the smell of cigar smoke is frequently noticed by employees and patrons. The ghost of a waiter killed in a knife fight still wanders the building.
Falcon Lair •
1436 Bella Dr.
Beverly Hills, CA 90210
Built in 1924 for Hollywood star Rudolph Valentino, this Spanish Colonial Revival house was named for the actor’s unproduced film, The Hooded Falcon. Valentino was only 31 when he died suddenly only two years later. The estate changed hands several times, and a restoration was started in 2003 but never finished. The main house was demolished in 2006, leaving only the stables and a few small buildings of the original estate.
A caretaker is believed to be the first person to see Valentino’s ghost shortly after his death. In 1928, a newspaper reporter spent the night alone inside Falcon Lair and claimed to sense a presence and see a shadowy figure in his room. Strange sounds and lights were reported by various owners. Being a horse lover all his life, Valentino has also been seen in the stables.
Fox Hollow Farm •
1111 East 156th St.
Carmel, IN 46032
The mansion was built around 1972 on an 18-acre estate. It was once the home of thrift store chain owner and serial killer Herbert Richard Baumeister and his family. Baumeister was responsible for murdering at least 11-20 gay men in Ohio and Indiana, some of whom were buried on the property (while others may still be undiscovered). Fleeing from an arrest warrant, he committed suicide in Ontario’s Pinery Provincial Park in 1996.
New owners Robert & Vicki Graves began experiencing paranormal activity around the property before discovering bone fragments from previously-unknown victims. Visitors have experienced everything from knocking sounds to full apparitions of some of Baumeister’s victims on the grounds and inside the mansion and guest house.
Hammond Castle & Museum •
80 Hesperus Ave.
Gloucester, MA 01930
Inventor John Hays Hammond, Jr. had his own personal stone castle mansion built between 1926 and 1929. He lived here with his wife Irene Fenton and used the house as a museum and laboratory as well as their private residence. He passed away in 1956 and was buried in a crypt on the property and instructed that it be covered in poison ivy as not to be disturbed after his passing. His wife was buried beside him. Their home is now a museum.
There are a few wayward spirits said to be in the house, including Hammond himself. He expressed a desire to be reincarnated as a cat; some believe it may have happened since a black cat once frequented the castle and took a liking to some of Hammond’s favorite places.
Jayne’s Hill •
Walt Whitman Trail
West Hills County Park
Sweet Hollow Rd.
Huntington, NY 11743
The highest point of elevation (400 ft. above sea level) on Long Island, Jayne’s Hill is part of West Hills County Park. The 8.2-mile Walt Whitman Trail, designated in 2007, crosses the hill, beginning at the birthplace of poet Walt Whitman.
Whitman has been spotted many times over the past century walking the trails where he spent much of his youth.
James Whale House •
788 S. Amalfi Dr.
Los Angeles, CA 90272
This house was once the home of director James Whale. He committed suicide by drowning himself in the pool on the property in 1957. The land has since been divided and the guest house now belongs to another lot. The swimming pool also has been filled in.
The ghost of Whale was allegedly exorcised by a later owner when paranormal activity began to occur.
Maddie’s Mine Hill Tavern •
181 Randolph Ave.
Mine Hill, NJ 07803
The Mine Hill Hotel was a stagecoach stop built in 1868 which later served as a tavern. In 1961, Frank and Maddie Bellini acquired the tavern. After Frank’s death in 1969, Maddie began a relationship with bartender Maureen Kavanaugh, marking the beginning of Maddie’s Place as an unofficial “gay bar.” Maureen passed away in the upstairs apartment in 1993; after Maddie died in 1995, the tavern became a restaurant for several years before becoming vacant.
Several ghosts from the hotel’s long history are believed to haunt the property, but most notably is the ghost of Maureen who has watched over her beloved bar since her death.
309 French St.
Fall River, MA 02720
Within a few years of its initial construction and following Fall River’s infamous axe murders, Lizzie Borden and her sister Emma purchased this house, dubbed Maplecroft. Emma moved out following a heated argument (allegedly over Lizzie’s possible affair with actress Nance O’Neil), and Lizzie resided here in relative seclusion until her death in 1927. It was a bed & breakfast for a few years before returning to a private residence.
The ghost of Lizzie is said to remain in her final home. She is said to be a peaceful, welcome presence.
Mercer-Williams House •
429 Bull St.
Savannah, GA 31401
Though construction began in 1860 for Hugh Mercer, the Civil War halted construction. Mercer sold the incomplete mansion soon after. It fell into disrepair in the mid-1900s before Jim Williams renovated the property. The house has become famous for the death of hustler Danny Hansford and the events written in the non-fiction novel, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.
Jim Williams seems to still host his famous parties in the museum. The sounds of merriment have been heard on the anniversary of his final party. Allegedly, Danny’s ghost played a part in Jim’s death.
Oilcan Harry’s •
211 W 4th St.
Austin, TX 78701
Situated in Austin’s Warehouse District one known as the red light district’s “Guy Town”, this was once the site of Madam Blanche Dumont’s house of ill repute. The current building dates back to the mid-20th Century. The gay bar was established here in 1990.
Madame Dumont is one of Austin’s best-known ghosts. She has been spotted on the dance floor on several occasions. Two other former brothel workers, Belle Brown and Della Robinson, also haunt the area and can be seen wandering the street out front of the building.
Roosevelt Hotel •
7000 Hollywood Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90028
Named for President Theodore Roosevelt, this hotel opened in 1927, making it the oldest continually-operated hotel in L.A. Countless Hollywood stars have stayed here, including Marilyn Monroe and Clark Gable.
Among the numerous paranormal encounters guests have experienced in the hotel are the reflection of Marilyn Monroe appearing in a mirror which once hung in her suite, Room 229, and hearing (bisexual) actor Montgomery Clift practicing his bugle in Room 928 for From Here to Eternity.
The Rose & Crown Guest House •
158 Commercial St.
Provincetown, MA 02657
One of the oldest homes in Provincetown, this “square rigger” was used as a model for many homes scattered across the city. It has been a bed and breakfast for decades; the most recent owner Ann McDougall has operated it with her partner Lisa for the last 12 years.
The main ghost at the inn is Preston Babbitt who owned the guest house during the 1980s and passed away from AIDS complications in the early 1990s. He has been seen in a white wedding dress, a costume he often wore during Carnivale. Guests have seen, felt, and heard unexplained things. Preston’s favorite cat has also made its presence known, walking on beds in the middle of the night.
Trax Bar •
1437 Haight St.
San Francisco, CA 94114
The Question Mark Cocktail Lounge opened in the 1940s at this site. It has been a gay bar since 1974, currently known as Trax.
A former patron from the early tavern at this site has been spotted by customers and employees.
UpStairs Lounge •
141 Chartres St.
New Orleans, LA
The second floor opened as a cocktail lounge during the 1960’s and officially became The UpStairs Lounge on October 31, 1970. On the evening of June 24, 1973 a Molotov cocktail was tossed into the stairwell igniting an inferno that engulfed the patrons and barred their escape. Though a few escaped, 32 people perished in one of the worst hate crimes in Louisiana history. The UpStairs never reopened; Jimani Lounge (now a neighborhood sports bar) still serves patrons and uses the second floor for storage.
Many people are terrified of entering the second floor rooms. The smell of smoke and fire still lingers in the stairwell. Visitors have felt fear and unease in the former bar area. Cold and hot spots have been noted. Many noises, including moving chains and footsteps, have been heard from below. Many believe the terrified and angry spirits from the fire still remain. Apparitions and unexplained activity from the site have been noticed in the adjacent strip club as well.
Villa Montezuma •
1925 K St.
San Diego, CA 92102
Built in 1887, this High Victorian was once the home of Jesse Shephard (later known as author Francis Grierson), a gay musician and medium. It suffered from a fire in the 1970s and is in the process of being restored by a nonprofit organization. Once the foundation repairs are completed, it will (hopefully) re-open as a museum.
The ghostly presence of Shepard has been reported on numerous occasions throughout the historic home. Activity seems centered around the large music room.
Walker Estate •
2398 Laurel Canyon Blvd.
Hollywood, CA 90028
Often mistaken for Houdini, a male spirit has been spotted on the magnificent staircase. It may be the male lover of the original owner’s son, said to have been pushed to his death during a lover’s quarrel.
Ybor Resort & Spa •
1512 E 8th Ave.
Tampa, FL 33605
The building was originally a coffee warehouse built in 1904. Later it became Trelles Clinic, a Cuban hospital run by Jorge Trelles which he renovated in the 1950s. It closed after being burned in a race riot during the 1970s. Following various other uses and a time of being abandoned it was purchased and renovated by new owners as an all-gay private club and resort/bathhouse. Following an arson fire in March 2017, the bathhouse has closed indefinitely.
Several paranormal investigation teams (including TAPS/Ghost Hunters) have explored the building in recent years and found evidence of activity. A tall, thin woman (believed to be Trelles’ wife) has been seen as well as a short male apparition. People also have experienced having clothing pulled, being touched by invisible hands, windows closing on their own, and disembodied voices.
Buddies in Bad Times Theatre •
12 Alexander St.
Canada M4Y 1B4
This former warehouse was converted into a theater. It became home to a LGBTQ theatre company, Buddies in Bad Times, in 1993.
Cold spots have been reported as well as strange noises and footsteps. Paranormal activity seems to be limited to nighttime hours. It may be connected with the time when the building was operated as a warehouse.
Manila Film Complex •
CCP Complex Roxas Blvd.
Pasay City, Manilla
Ferdinand and Imelda Marcos originally conceived the idea of constructing a film center to showcase the cultural side of the Philippines. After several delays and blueprint changes, the structure opened in 1982. With the decline of Marcos, the building was taken over by the government and used as a passport office. Following the earthquake in 1990, the building was abandoned. It was reborn in 2001 when the Amazing Philippine Theatre began hosting the most extravagant drag queen and transvestite shows in the nation.
The Amazing Show left in 2009. There are tentative plans for the building to become government offices.
On November 17, 1981, a construction accident allegedly cost the lives of between a dozen and 169 workers. The collapse of a scaffold hurled workers into wet concrete and rebar. The Marcos regime covered up the incident, yet many claim the building is still haunted by the spirits of the workers killed.
The body of a murdered MTF transsexual was found near the building in the late 1990s. Taxi drivers have reportedly been approached by a bruised and battered trans female asking to be taken to the hospital since that time, only for her to vanish from the back seat upon arrival at a hospital.
Čachtice Castle •
The castle in Čachtice was originally built between 1263 and 1276 along the road to Moravia. Several owners added on to the structure over the years. The Nadasdy family acquired the fortress in 1569; it became for final home of Ferenc Nadasdy’s wife, countess Elizabeth Bathory from 1604 until her death in 1614. Bathory became well-known for the torture and murder of countless young women. The castle was used as a prison in the 1700s and was severely damaged on three occasions. It has been crumbling since 1799.
The ghost of Bathory is believed to reside in her private prison. Visitors have reported odd feelings and disembodied shadows. Some of her many victims may also haunt the ruins. Elizabeth cursed her accusers before her death and the souls of her many cats may still wander the grounds in an effort to exact revenge.
The Black Cap •
171 Camden High St.
London NW1 7JY
The Mother Red Caps Inn existed as a coaching inn built in the middle of the 18th century, though the inn may date back as early as 1690. It was a dangerous area known for murderous highwaymen. Mother Red Cap was once accused of murdering a lover and believed to be a witch. on the night she died, locals claimed to see “the Devil himself” go into her home. The next Mother Red Cap turned the place into a tavern and was more pleasant. The pub was rebuilt in 1875 and its name was eventually changed to The Black Cap as it remains today. For many years it has been a popular gay pub.
The first Mother Red Cap is believed to haunt the pub. Local lore claims that the DJ booth is situated on what once was a scaffold. Some believe that ghostly occurrences also can be blamed on the ghost of drag performer Reginald Sutherland Bundy (1941 – 2003), better known as “Her Imperial Highness Regina Fong”.
Boleskine House •
Originally a hunting lodge built in the mid-18th century by Col. Archibald Fraser (on the 10th century ruins of a church which burned to the ground with its entire congregation still inside, according to legend), it was purchased in 1899 by “the Beast of Boleskine” and “wickedest man in the world,” bisexual occultist author Aleister Crowley. He sold the property in 1913. One of its later owners committed suicide there in 1965. After falling into dilapidation, it was purchased in 1971 by Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page who lived there until 1990. The building was gutted by a fire in 2015 and remains in ruins.
During an interview in 1975, Jimmy Page said, “Strange things have happened in that house which have nothing to do with Crowley. The bad vibes were already there.” Page himself spent little time at the house, but his friend Malcom Dent who looked after the property and lived in the house claimed “whatever was there was pure evil.” He reported countless strange experiences including disembodied footsteps, furniture moving, doors opening and slamming, and one particularly frightful night when the sound of an animal snorting loudly just outside his bedroom door awoke him in the middle of the night. Boleskine House’s last owner claimed there was no truth behind the paranormal claims despite its mysterious fire.
Elephant & Castle Pub •
97 High St.
A female spirit dressed in black has been reported in the pub. She allegedly likes to punch the rears of barmaids in the cellar.
Fitz Manor •
The manor dates back to 1450 when it was built on a medieval site, possibly a Saxon hall. It was owned at one time by the bishop of Shrewsbury. It has been in the Baly family since the 1700s and currently serves as a bed and breakfast. In 2003, it was featured on the UK television program Most Haunted.
Several ghosts allegedly haunt this estate. Most notably, the presence of a priest believed to have been murdered for being homosexual haunts the dining room. Guests and visitors have heard his moans and weeping.
The George Hotel •
Originally a coaching inn, this public house has been in operation since the mid-18th century. The George & Dragon was renamed the George Inn in 1836. The current owners refurbished the hotel in 2003 and opened Lottie’s Restaurant in the attached wooden structure.
The infamous Green Lady haunts the upstairs rooms of the inn. A male presence with an affinity for unzipping the pants of young male employees lingers in the laundry (formerly occupied by the bakery for the inn).
King William IV Pub •
77 Hampstead High St.
London NW3 1RE
Hempstead Heath has been a popular gay cruising site since the 1800s. This tavern dates back even earlier, originally called the King’s Head. The name was changed in 1835 after King William IV and Queen Adelaide stopped in for a drink. Gay patronage of the pub began in the 1930s and a woman nicknamed “Mumsy” operated the establishment. The crowd is still largely gay today.
Mrs. Wyatt, as the ghost is known, is said to haunt the building. Legend says she was murdered by her husband who buried her body in the basement. According to psychic Derek Acorah, there was also a little boy who witnessed the crime and was also murdered. He is believed to haunt the cellar as well.
The New Inn •
16 Northgate St.
The medieval-galleried inn was originally constructed around 1450 by Gloucester Abbey as a resting place for those taking the pilgrimage to the cathedral. It replaced an earlier inn built around 1300. Over the years, the building deteriorated due to neglectful owners but was saved by The Chapman Group around 2000 and completely refurbished.
The ghost of a gay monk named Sebastian allegedly haunts the inn. He has been known to pull the sheets off of couples in the honeymoon suite. Whispers have also been reported.
Plas Newydd House & Gardens •
In 1780 what was a small cottage became home to Lady Eleanor Butler and Miss Sarah Ponsonby known collectively as “the Ladies of Llangollen” who fled Ireland together due to their scandalous elopement. The two women were well-liked by the townsfolk and lived out their years entertaining guests and neighbors. They are buried together at the nearby St. Collen’s Church. Today their Gothic creation of a home is a museum.
Both Sarah and Eleanor are said to still roam the house and are particularly active around Christmas. Another male spirit, a later owner, is said to haunt an upstairs bedroom.
Queen’s Theatre •
51 Shaftesbury Ave
Built in 1907, this theater survived many performances before being hit by German troops during a World War II air raid. The facade was replaced and it reopened in 1959. It hosts one of the longest-running performances of Les Miserables in the country.
Among the ghosts of the theater is a male presence with a habit of watching ushers in the changing room. Some male employees have also reported feeling pinched on their rear ends, presumably by the same ghost.
Regency Tavern •
32-34 Russell Square
Brighton, East Sussex
The tavern dates back as early as the 1870 while other coaching inns previously occupied the property. It expanded into the adjacent bookmaker’s shop in 1930. It is considered England’s oldest gay bar, though it currently has a mixed crowd but remains gay-friendly.
One young female spirit is believed to be the disabled daughter of shoemaker William Moore who leapt to her death from an upstairs window after fearing she smelled gas. Another ghost is assumed to be Mrs. Elgin, a former landlady during the turn of the 20th century who loved the tavern so much she may have elected to stay. The second floor has been a hotspot for moving chairs and other objects in the past. A glowing green woman has also been witnessed in the cellar.
St. Mary’s Church •
Little Chart, Ashford , Kent
Though the ruins have been a source of ghostly legend for years, investigators may have discovered the spirit of a gay groundskeeper still watching over the land.
Scarborough Castle •
Scarborough, North Yorkshire
Once the site of a Roman signal station, the earliest parts of the castle date back to 1136. It was besieged by Tudor rebels in 1316 and has been the focus of countless attacks including during England’s Civil War. It deteriorated over the centuries, suffering further damage from German bombardment in 1914. English Heritage currently operates the ruins and grounds as a historic site and museum.
Edward II’s lover, Piers Gaveston, stayed at the castle before being captured and beheaded in 1312 at Blacklow Hill. He is said to wander the great wall surrounding the castle carrying his severed head. He enjoys playing pranks on those who walk the castle grounds at night.